Home » Posts » Blog 09 » Garcia Blog 9

Garcia Blog 9

The Mevlevi Sufi Order originated when Mevlana Celeladdin Rumi, a Persian poet created the song. The melody and rhythm has been described to, “animate the soul, and stir the universe into existence” (p. 315). After Rumi’s death, as a sign of respect the people of Konya, Turkey began what is known as, the Mevlevi Order.  

The music is one of the biggest components because it’s said to “send the practitioner’s physical body into a slow dance of graceful and ecstatic turning” (p. 315). Normally the instrumentation of the piece includes, “one singer, a flute-player, (known as neyzen) a kettledrummer and a cymbal player” (The Washington Post). The dancers are “unfocused” throughout the dance and their bodies “turn in rhythmic patterns” by using “the left foot to propel their bodies around the right foot” (The Washington Post).

As for the second piece, Amazing Grace is completely different from the Mevlevi, from its context to the effect the song has. Amazing Grace through time has been sung in church, like the gospel version shown in class, in “commemoratory events [but more] particularly funerals” (p. 288). A difference the two musical pieces have is that the Mevlevi is for the Sema Ceremony, while Amazing Grace is performed in many different events and its not specific to one faith. Another difference is that the Mevlevi makes the performers feel at inner peace and gives them a sense of tranquility, while in the gospel version of Amazing Grace it can give the performers a more upbeat feeling, and the audience as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/heres-what-you-should-know-before-attending-a-whirling-dervish-ceremony-in-turkey/2019/04/11/1af4bbac-57af-11e9-9136-f8e636f1f6df_story.html

Cornelius Steven, and Mary Natvig. Music: A Social Experience. Routledge, 2019

1. I liked how you noted that Amazing Grace has evolved, and isn’t tight down/ restricted to any one specific faith or event. I definitely agree, and that’s what I based my blog post on!

2. I liked how you mentioned that Amazing Grace isn’t tied down to 1 specific faith. I didn’t think about it that way until I read this. Wish I had thought of it to put in my blog.

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message